Sunday, January 23, 2011

Criminal activity in PV

A little note on what NOT to do when in a foreign country: attempt to break into someone´s house.


Some background info:


On my last night in PV, after hiking with the couchsurfers, I was attempting to make it back to Paty´s house on my own. (She lives outside of town, a bit difficult to get to, and she had always drove me, so I had never got there independently before). Before I left, she reminded me that her house number is 238. That is important.

The bus system in Mexico is a bit confusing, to say the least, and there are a million different buses going everywhere and no one, even long time residents, seem to understand the system. You just hop on a bus and hope it´s going to take you to where you need to go. Since this is my third day in Mexico, I have no clue what to do, but everyone tells me I have to grab the bus from across the street from the Sheraton. So I go there, and wait patiently for my bus to come. I wait, wait, and wait a bit longer. I´m starting to get nervous because it´s getting late and the buses stop running at 11:30. I still haven´t seen a bus heading to where I need to go.

Finally, two of the couchsurfers who are waiting with me suggest I take any bus to Wal Mart (yes, there´s a Wal Mart in PV) and try get one there, as it´s a more popular spot. So I get to Wal Mart and it turns out that´s where I should have been in the first place. Ahhh the joys of taking public transportation in foreign countries. Luckily I get the last bus of the night, and even manage to get off at the right spot, on the side of the highway by an underpass.


I get to Paty´s compound. If you thought Canadian suberbs were boring and conformist, then you have to see this neighborhood. ALL the houses are EXACTLY the same. Not one distinguishing feature on any of them. I take a few turns and end up at house number 238. Something strikes me as off, but I can´t put my finger on it. But it has to be her place, it´s the right number after all, and there´s even her white Honda CR-V in the driveway. I can hear a lot of people talking inside, so I figure she must be having some people over. Since I´m sleeping on her futon in the living room and am exhausted, I´m not thrilled about this, but really, it´s not my house so I can´t complain.


I put my key in the door, and it goes in, but doesn´t turn properly. It´s my first time using it, so maybe it´s just a bit sticky. I start turning it more aggressively, but it still won´t turn. That´s when I hear everyone inside go quiet. A few people start making panic-sounding remarks in Spanish. Maybe this isn´t her place after all, I start thinking. Then someone starts shouting - I couldn´t understand the words, but the context was clear. ¨Who are you? What do you want?¨ I quickly decide I am in the wrong spot and I have to get out of here ASAP. I turn on my heel as fast as I can and start speed walking in the opposite direction (I didn´t want to run, as I thought that would bring extra unwanted attention to me). Too late. The door swings open and a man rushes out. I look for a plac to hide, but decide that will probably make me look more guilty. I freeze like a deer caught in someone´s headlights and start yelling anything I can in Spanish, while holding my hands in the air to show I´m unarmed. ¨Sorry! Mistake! Mistake! No problem!¨ He looks at me a few times suspiciously but then must decide that this stupid blonde girl yelling out random words in Spanish can´t be much harm, and slowly walks, backwards, back inside his house.


I finally make it back to Paty´s REAL house (which is also numbered 238 and also has a white CR-V parked in the driveway). I have two thoughts going through my head - why the hell are there TWO number 238´s and I have to learn this language better if I want to avoid getting myself into serious trouble.


The next morning I´m recounting the story to Gustavo, Paty´s boyfriend, who was raised in Texas. ¨You´re lucky this happened in Mexico,¨ he says. ¨If it had been Texas, they would have shot you automatically.¨ Just another reason, among many, why I do not want to go to Texas. Of course I keep this thought to myself.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! You should buy an outdoor GPS for your travelling. Have a nice day.

    ps: i got fired because i chose took care my brother while he was sick instead of go to work.
    vincent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the heck are there two 238's?! I'm glad you weren't in Texas.

    ReplyDelete