Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Seein´ is Belizean!

On to the next stop for me. Caye Caulker, a smaller, less developed, well-known backpackers´ hub. I spent a few days there, and while I didn´t feel it lived up to its glorious reputation, I did have a good time. Belize is famous for its barrier reef (the second longest in the world) and the cayes are perfectly situated for some marine exploration. It was on Caulker that I first became introduced to this wonderful world.

I indulged a bit and took a snorkling trip, something I normally wouldn´t do, but I just felt like I had to. And I´m so glad I did - it was phenomenal. The coral was great, and the marine life was even better. Although uber touristy, one of the spots we hit, Shark Ray Alley, was such a visceral experience for me. I was able to snorkel among dozens of sting rays and nurse sharks - a bit intimidating at first, but once you get into it, unreal. I´ll never forget what it feels like to have sharks grazing your legs as they swim past you, or the smooth feel of a sting ray´s back.

At another location, we got to see two spotted eagle rays, a rare treat indeed. They´re the second biggest ray in the world (after the manta) with a wing span of 2 meters. They are incredibly beautiful when they swim and have the appearance of flying in the water. Other fun stuff on the trip included sea turtles, eels, barracudas and too much wonderful tropical fish to name (I don´t even know half of the names). On the way back, we came across a pod of dolphins, playing in the water. An even bigger treat.

While on Caulker I tried to re-create the offroad adventure I had had with my relatives, but this time with a bike. After a few hours of some tough biking in the bush, I suddenly emerged from the jungle on the smooth, flat tarmac of the island´s airstrip. Right next to me was a sign showing a biker with a slash right through it. Less than five minutes after finding my way to the proper path, a plane came down and landed right beside me! Close call.

It was also in Caulker that I began to learn that Belize is at a serious threat of colonization - by Canadians. We are taking over the place there! Never in my life have I met so many of us in one place (outside of Canada of course). It became so bad that 2 guys from Vancouver and I made a plan to spread the rumour that Belize is in the middle of a serious civil war. Otherwise, it´s just going to keep on developing like crazy, lose so much of its appeal and charm, and end up like another Yucatán. And I believe this idea could work - how many people really know anything about Belize, or even where it is? So remember, next time you´re talking to someone, don´t forget to casually mention how bad that civil war in Belize is, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment